in

Essentials Cafe

a man outstanding in his field - my definition of a farmer

Last post 06-25-2008 5:13 AM by squirrel. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-23-2008 3:32 PM

a man outstanding in his field - my definition of a farmer

Now this one is purely for discussion, a photographer can focus on any part of a picture and make the rest blurred, and so can an artist, anyways I took this picture purely to illustrate a point and I have exagerrated the effect to show what I had in mind. I did this one in wet in wet watercolour, and wanted a sketch effect overlay, but when you do that the programme can't tell what is in focus and what isn't...... so the sketch is equally sharp all over, which defeats the purpose of using selective focussing... so just to make a point I selected the entire picture except for the main subject and blurred it, which gets you back to the original effect, simple to do but effective.

Scott Adams said, "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."

• 06-23-2008 4:48 PM In reply to

Re: a man outstanding in his field - my definition of a farmer

Great Pic,  I love the way the centre of interest is done.  Much better than the all over sketch thing.  Ric did a similar thing with his "Fire' painting and I liked that to. What I mean is just having the focal point only with the sketch work on.

I'm not sure I really understand your explanation of how you achieved this, but I would like to very much as I want to give this technique a go. How did you blur it? Was it in E4 programme, or was it done in another phot programme? I know what your thinking.....she really is a blonde and not a redhead.  Trouble is your right!

• 06-24-2008 10:22 AM In reply to

easy one - I made a selection using the freehand selection tool (Lasso) of the entire picture except for the farmer, then went to soften and chose a setting on the slider - job done - you can use a little feather to soften the edges of your selecton if you look at your menu, goto select/feather and in this case I chose five pixels. All you need is right there in E4, just in case there is any confusion I will show how you would need to use the selection in this case by way of a small picture, and the yellow lines are the selection used

Scott Adams said, "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."

• 06-24-2008 4:16 PM In reply to

• ric
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-28-2008
    • Posts 552

Excellent ! well done for explaining graphically. Its easy for some of us to take stuff like this for granted but its great to see working examples for others who arnet so used to editing.
  • 06-25-2008 1:23 AM In reply to

Yep, and I happen to be one of em!

• 06-25-2008 5:13 AM In reply to

Don't feel alone dianne, I am learning from some of your questions too.

Often out of my tree but never short of nuts
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
© 2008 Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions.