in

Essentials Cafe

Ideas

Tutorial: Using the Brush Drawer

Using the Brush Drawer

One of the joys of using Corel®  Painter™ Essentials 4 is exploring the media in the Brush Drawer. When you find a medium that you like, you can customize it and save it as a favorite brush. By saving the brush in this way, you can find it quickly when you want to reuse it.

The Brush Drawer

In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to do the following:

•    choose a brush from the Brush Drawer
•    customize a brush
•    add a brush to the Favorites area
•    remove a brush from the Favorites area

Step 1: Choose a brush from the Brush Drawer

1.    Start Corel Painter Essentials 4, and create a new painting (File menu > New). Choose any page size and resolution you want.
2.    On the left side of the application window, click the Brush Drawer arrow . The Brush Drawer opens.
3.    Click a brush category tab along the top of the brush drawer. To view the names of the categories before you click, hover over the brush category tabs.

4.    From the list of brushes, click a brush stroke.

Step 2: Customize a brush

1.    Choose a brush from the Brush Drawer.
2.    On the property bar, adjust the settings: Brush Size, Opacity, and Grain.

Note: The Grain control is available only for brushes that react to the paper grain.

Step 3: Save a favorite brush

1.    Choose the brush that you want to save.
2.    Click the Add Favorites button at the bottom of the Brush Drawer.

An icon for the brush that you are currently using is added to the Favorites area of the Brush Drawer. You can click the brush icon whenever you want to access the brush.

Note: Whenever you use a brush, the icon for the brush is automatically added to the top of the Recently Used area (above the Favorites area). If you forget to add a brush to the Favorites area, you can look for the brush in the Recently Used area.

Step 4: Remove a brush from the Favorites area

1.    Open the Brush Drawer. (You cannot remove a brush from the Favorites area if the Brush Drawer is closed.)
2.    In the Favorites area, locate the brush icon for the brush that you want to remove, and drag the icon out of the Favorites area.

The plus sign changes to a minus sign, which indicates that you are removing a brush.

Tips

•    You can view the name of the brush that you are currently using by hovering over the Brush Tool icon in the toolbox.

•    You can clear all brushes from the Recently Used area and the Favorites area of the Brush Drawer by restoring the factory default settings. To do this, hold down the Shift key when you start the application. In the dialog box that appears, click Yes to confirm that you want to restore the factory default settings.

Comments

Terri said:

Wow I had no idea I could save the settings, that is great.  Thanks Jennifer

Terri

October 21, 2008 8:31 PM

Winlok said:

I've never blogged before, so be kind with me if I mess up.

I was reading an old post about where whenever someone used the eraser tool, the paint brush would reset to it's original size. And someone from the corel team, stated it was a bug on the PC. Well I have a PC, and it does the same thing. However I did this tutorial, and since it saves your paint brushs, I just chose the tool that I made, and erase away. And I don't have to worry about resetting. So it might be inadvertently more then just a tutorial. I think at least. :p

December 8, 2008 8:36 AM

Deborah Hice said:

Um I need a little help, I have this and all, but it wont let me use the pencil it keeps opening that menue that usually the left mouse button (If your right handed) Opens, and I'd rather draw like normal

March 31, 2009 4:33 PM

Patty Ann said:

I've never sent a blog anywhere. This is the best place to start!;)

November 26, 2010 10:36 AM

Simone Foley said:

I have just installed the Painter 4 program that came w/ my Wacom tablet.  I can not get the brush drawer to open at all.  I had some assistance from one of the techs (he was great) and he got it up and running, once we disconnected the call I could not open the drawer.  I am about ready to give up.  Can anyone help.  I do not need to install any updated drivers.  Thanks

January 19, 2011 3:46 PM

madiesonsmith said:

Impressive stuff here. The information and the aspect were just wonderful. I think that your viewpoint is deep, it’s just well thought out and truly incredible to see someone who knows how to put these thoughts so well. Good job!

Let the experts teach you or give you good advice about <b><a href=http://deletelongfile.com> cannot delete file</a></b> problems.

June 23, 2011 10:34 PM

FredNunez said:

I am happy to try different things,Excellent reads. Keep Sharing.

August 30, 2011 6:32 AM

leftyart said:

thankfull for you advise about the brushs soooo new to painter!

October 18, 2011 1:01 AM

harleyJshenoy said:

Interesting. Informative idea. It looking useful to me while designing tools. Thanks for  sharing.

December 29, 2011 1:13 AM

rug cleaning nyc said:

I am always fond of making new creative designs and this is really exciting for me, and I am going to try all these tips.

January 13, 2012 7:58 AM

ezamp3 said:

nice tips..But i stil like to use photoshop

May 26, 2012 11:38 AM

davidpp said:

Thank you for providing such a useful post on using Corel Painter Essentials 4 and using it in the Brush Drawer. I liked the tutorial that you have mentioned here and it gives specific points in helping us to learn the application. <a href="http://www.snoring-mouthguard.com">www.snoring-mouthguard.com</a>

June 21, 2013 4:52 AM

veronicalake said:

I need a little bit help for using brush in corel draw  and painter 4 ?

any one can send me a good you tube video for learning corel draw

October 11, 2013 9:33 PM

About Jennifer Fraser

My background is in Architecture, and no, not Computer Architecture. I find my inspiration for my work from a variety of sources, from watching people use our products, to looking at examples of architecture and industrial design, to playing with my son.
© 2008 Corel Corporation. The content herein is in the form of a personal web log ("Blog") or forum posting. As such, the views expressed in this site are those of the participants and do not necessarily reflect the views of Corel Corporation, or its affiliates and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents. Terms and Conditions.